Instagram Pinterest Shop Shop Facebook Home HeadFirst About Me My Classroom Image Map

Saturday, December 2, 2017

First Grade Math Curriculum Unit 2 - Subtraction, Doubles Facts, Fact Families, Missing Addends



We are halfway through 2nd quarter in my 1st grade classroom. That means we are halfway through my 2nd Headfirst Math Unit. Here is a page from my lesson plan binder.

1st Grade Math Lesson Plans

One of my favorite things about using this on the computer is that this page is clickable! You can click on the topic and be taken right to it instead of having to go through all the pages to find the math lesson you need! Each lesson has sets of worksheets that go with it. Plenty for in-class and homework and extra practice if needed. You can use the lesson for whole group or small groups. Many have partner activities and math mats for kids to get hands-on activities. 



Here are the math vocabulary cards that we learn and review. I have them as 1/2 sheet size as a math word wall and as 1/4 sheet size on a ring to practice like flashcards.  
1st Grade Math Vocabulary

Here is some independent subtraction math fact practice. I used this as an activity for the whole class and then put it in my math center after they knew how to play. My desks are in groups of 4 so each had a set of cups and lollipops to sort.

1st Grade subtraction center game


My team felt our students had a pretty good handle on subtraction already with the way we taught number bonds in my first unit so we skipped that and started with turn around facts and fact families. This was the first year that I have felt confident that my students have mastered this math strategy. Here are the reasons why!

Students love linking cubes. I have a set that I keep sorted by color at all times so when I pull them out, I can give students 5 of each color. They also love using whiteboards, so before I gave them the cubes, I modeled with the cubes and had them write their turn around facts on their whiteboards to hold up. I also like this activity because it begins to show students that the equal sign means that both sides are equal and it's not just what comes before the answer. Instead of just understanding 3 + 4 = 7 they understand that 3 + 4 = 4 + 3. 
1st Grade Math Problems
turn around facts worksheet

Using this worksheet after they got to play with the linking cubes was a nice way to tie the hands-on and paper-pencil activities together.

The kids enjoyed this Turn Around Facts craft. Just have them tract their hands and arms on brown construction paper, fill in turn around facts on the leaves and color, cut them both out, and glue the leaves to the finger branches. 

Fact Families Craft Bulletin Board

Once we got an understanding of turn around facts, we got into fact families. 
Teaching Fact Families

I think the most powerful part of this topic was using the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I read the story to them first. Baby is the smallest number, Mama is the middle number, and Papa is the biggest number. It was a great way to link literacy with math!




The students helped me chose the numbers. I helped to make sure the numbers would work. Then they took turns holding the cards to make the facts.


Fact Family Lesson Plans

Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Each time we used the Papa, Mama, Baby cards, we filled out a page in our Fact Families Book.

Fact Families Book


Fact Families Partner Center Game
We played this partner game several times during our fact family study. The 1st student spins the top spinner to find the Papa number and puts it by Papa on the house mat.



The student's partner spins the bottom spinner to find the Mama or Baby number and puts that number on the mat. 

Then they figured out what the third number
was. As I was circulating, I had to point out several times that they needed to switch the Mama and Baby numbers. I saw some Aha! moments which is so awesome!

On the carpet, we used this mat in a page protector with dry erase markers to practice the fact families.
Fact Family Math Mat Triangle

Here are some of the worksheets we used. 

Fact Family and Number Bond Worksheet

Fact Family and Number Bond Worksheet


Next up was our study of Doubles Facts. Memorizing doubles facts is a helpful skill for students to have. There are some really cute YouTube videos that I've used in class. Here are two of them by Harry Kindergarten.




I made a copy of this for each student to put in their binders to refer to when needed. 

Doubles Rap Sheet


Doubles Bump Math GameWe loved playing Doubles Bump. Partners use one die and each uses a different color of marker. The player rolls the die and doubles it. The goal is to cover as many numbers as you can. If one partner gets the same answer that is already covered, she can bump off her partner's marker. When all are covered, whoever has the most numbers covered wins. I made this bump game so that you can see the number even while it is marked. I have some other bump games that once it is covered, you can't see what it is which makes it hard for first graders to remember which numbers are where. 

Doubles Facts Worksheet


Doubles + 1 plus 1 Facts Worksheet

After doubles, we moved on to doubles plus 1 facts. I'm not totally convinced that this is an appropriate skill for 1st grade brains. They understood the concept when the doubles facts and the doubles + 1 facts were side by side, but when I removed that crutch, it was much harder for them to use the doubles to solve doubles + 1 facts.  My team and I decided to throw out the grade on the original test because so many of our students did not use the skill when solving the problems. They instead tried to use fingers, number lines, and subtraction instead. 

Here's the flashcards that are in the unit: 

Addition and Subtraction Flashcards


We are getting ready to begin Mixed Addition and Subtraction and then will follow with Missing Addends before beginning our holiday break. 







Happy Teaching!