Instagram Pinterest Shop Shop Facebook Home HeadFirst About Me My Classroom Image Map

Sunday, April 15, 2018

What is a Pictionary?


When I hear the word Pictionary, I automatically think of the game where you had to draw and your teammates had to guess what it was! Pictionaries are also an educational tool that can be used in the classroom to foster vocabulary development and writing skills. In a dictionary, you find definitions of words (i.e. diction = words). In a pictionary, you find pictures of words. 

This an example of a personal dictionary that can be at a writing center or put in a journal. 


This is an example of the pocket chart size words. They can be printed smaller for the desktop-size pocket charts. 


Pictionaries are a wonderful tool for both vocabulary and writing. Students can learn words associated with a topic of study with the pictures stimulating prior knowledge. The pictures can be a springboard for writing. Young authors may find it overwhelming to try to spell words they have just learned. With a pictionary, students can concentrate on their ideas and use words they might not have otherwise thought of or have been able to spell. Here of some examples of my pictionaries.



























Here are some examples of how to use my pictionaries in a classroom:


This is a schedule pocket chart. I printed the cards smaller by using my printer's multipage printing option. I printed 2 sheets on a page. These cards can be used in a writing center. I have also used it to introduce vocabulary. The cards are nice because students can take them out to put them next to their paper when writing. 


Here is chart paper that I glued the cut-up pocket-size cards on to make a large poster. Just flip and the next unit's words are there for students to use. 


We read Many Kinds of Birds. Then I showed students the posters and we read the names of the birds and talked about where they live. We compared the pictures to those we had viewed in the book. Then students chose a bird that lives near us to write about. This was at the end of our bird unit so they already knew lots of facts about birds. We also looked up some of the eggs these birds lay on my phone. Love spontaneous curiosity! The paper they are using to write on here and below can be found in my Spring into Writing Unit



This student is using the poster cut up into cards on a ring. She is making a list of different kinds of dinosaurs. The ring was made with a zip tie. 


Another way to use the cards is for a memory game. For younger students, use fewer cards.



Finally, I use the cards as a write the room activity to introduce vocabulary. Kids love hunting around the classroom with their recording sheets on clipboards. 


Click here to be taken to the pictionary section of my TPT store!

Click here for a FREE Insects Pictionary.