Instagram Pinterest Shop Shop Facebook Home HeadFirst About Me My Classroom Image Map

Monday, January 8, 2018

Wedding of Q and U - Teaching Phonics in 1st Grade


Phonics is not the most exciting subject to teach or learn. However, we know that it is essential to beginning reading instruction. We also know that it takes fewer repetitions to learn a concept when it is done in a playful way. Anytime I can make phonics instruction playful, I know it is going to stick with students better.


Q and U together are called a consonant digraph. Rarely do we find a Q without a U so teaching this digraph helps students read. The wedding of Q and U helps students see that these letters go together to make the /kw/ sound. 

The Wedding Day begins with an invitation to the wedding on students' desks in the morning. This invitation is editable so you can put in your own time and place. 

During reading time, I  gather the guests on the carpet in rows, some on the bride's side and some on the groom's side. I read the story to the students in a very dramatic way of course! The kids really get a kick out of it!


After we read the story together, I give students their own copies to color. Then we read it together. 


I pass around the guest book for all to sign. 


After that we write qu words on the wedding cake. I display them in the hall. 


The storybook goes in my classroom library. It is a favorite with students. 

To see this fun resource in my store, click below!